Friday, May 14, 2010

Tough Love

On the cross, I stare while basking in silence

With nary a thought traipsing in my head

Merely taking my time in tracing each crimson path

That from His crown and nails had spread.

Then my gaze fell on His eyes, and was shaken

From there, a disconcerting truth, revealed

That despite the enormous weight of pain

There reigns a love unparalleled, pure and still.

Then I wondered if even for a moment, He wavered in His belief,

While under the blistering heat of the noontime sun, which offered no reprieve

His sight sweeping across a sea of angry faces, hoarsely screaming for His blood

When days before, His words and works, to their brokenness soothed and salved.

It could have had been more acceptable if in His dying breath

The fiercest condemnation from His lips He did not repress

But then, off-guard they were all taken, hardly did they expect

Because before His eyes fluttered to a close, forgiveness was all He said.

On hindsight, I am filled with gratitude that things turned out according to His way

Since like the people of yore, I too, because of sins have been badly frayed.

If He had given up on them, then now, to whom should I turn for relief?

Moreover, with all the lies around, then in whose truth should I believe?

And so, to the high heavens, with head bowed, I whispered my thanks

Since He chose to rise from the challenge and to us, He gave an awesome grace

That is, though truly undeserving, through a promise He faithfully keeps,

That to anyone who asks, knocks, and seeks, endless second chances He would give.

No comments: